Friday 4 March 2011

Time for time to freeze

So obviously I should have done a blog about LFW. And a bunch of other stuff which has gotten all backed up. But first I just want to dedicate a little message to Louise Cattell, probably the most exciting and outgoing and dynamic person I have ever met who died on Tuesday.

 
Louise was one of the first friends I made at secondary school. I was really really awkward. I don't think that awkwardness was something that Louise ever felt. We were very different kids. I spent most of my time reading and hanging out in my room while Louise was going to clubs and seeing bands and just getting involved with EVERYTHING from the age of about 14. I swear she was at BarFly in Camden almost every night. She never seemed to need ID or a backstage pass. She was just there. She would come into school the next day and ask me if I had heard of this band or that band that she had been out with the night before. Of course I hadn't, I didn't know anything.



School had issues with Louise. She did not stick to the uniform. One of the main battles was her hair. the rules strictly said "only natural colours". I believe her hair was blonde, red, blue and green in first year, but her hair has been so many colours I could be getting mixed up. I was constantly shocked by her but with utter admiration. She got a septum piercing. And a plug which she could put a cigarette through. She did piercings herself. She shredded the uniform. The music teacher loved her because we were made to perform and Louise boomed out "Mack the knife" and other Sinatra classics in a deep growl, swaying from back foot to front due to nerves and just singing louder to hide it.



Louise had a broad taste in music. I can't remember most of the music she tried to make me listen to which I just didn't get but I specifically remember being on one of those activity holidays with bunk beds and sneaking down to her bunk to share headphones while she played me Placebo - Sleeping with Ghosts. I was shocked and thought it was terribly morbid. Sometimes we would walk to my house after school and she would be singing Dead or Alive - 'You Spin Me Round' or Ladytron - '17'. I had never heard of any of this music. And during GCSEs when she started learning German I remember her being excited to be able to finally translate Rammstein lyrics.

I think that Louise influenced me a lot. She proved it's a waste of time to fret over fitting in with how to dress and how you should look and you can just have a lot more fun wearing wigs, avant garde make up and tits out!


She will be loved and missed for ever.
xxx


1 comment:

  1. Yasmin, only just found your beautiful tribute....vickyxxx

    ReplyDelete