Tuesday 15 February 2011

Eros & Thanatos

Happy Valentines Day!
(for 15 min ago)
And if you think its a lame commercial holiday then I completely agree and I really could not care less about this 'Valentine' guy so I am going to bring in some Classical 'love' stories I have been looking at this week. 
(I say 'love' because in mythology it seems to be... umm..... let's say 'surprise sex' a lot of the time but I let us not get bogged down in the ethics of these matters.)

Primaticcio, Francesco; Raub der Helena
Tip 1: If your relationship starts with you being bundled into some foreign prince's ship you may find yourself in a somewhat awkward political situation (particularly if you are married to a powerful king)

Jacques-Louis David; The Love of Helen and Paris (detail)
Tip 2: Do not trust the man who wears either a gnome hat (/Phrygian cap) OR is naked except for sandals. It is worth noting that in this case, two negatives do not create a positive. This can only end badly.

John William Waterhouse; Jason and Medea

Tip 3: Guys; if she starts mixing poisons soon after you meet, maybe don't have kids, they might not last long
Girls; no guy is ever worth murdering your little brother/foreign kings/your children for. You are a strong and independent woman - get in your serpent drawn carriage and take on the world!

(btw I love Medea and think that she is thoroughly misunderstood)

I tried to put some Greekiness into my Valentines Day. Unfortunately I cannot write in Greek so I am not sure if this is correct but its the thought that counts! 

More to come!
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment