Tuesday 25 October 2011

TTFN to the Paleontology Conservation Unit


I really shouldn't be on the computer when I have a lecture in about 7 hours but I am feeling really nostalgic about museums. Yes I do Classics and I like museums. Stereotype fulfilled. (Btw if you are ever in Manchester check out the John Ryland's Library in Deansgate, it is actually quite beautiful - I should do a post on it sometime...). Anyway I miss my volunteering at the Natural History Museum which I did over the summer. So here are some pictures from my time there:


I think this was the Geology library, there's lots of exciting libraries not open to the public!
One of the specimens from the Butterfly Tent in the front lawn of the museum.
"Mnleeh!" (that's meant to be a sticking-out-tongue noise)
Totally want to make jewellery of these...
Ok this is really immature but it made me laugh...
Making pH neutral boxes for specimens.
Part of the Age of the Dinosaur exhibit, scared the hell out of me when it moved.
Part of the 'Sexual nature' exhibition, they died for love... not really but they died for sex...
pH tape! pretty... pH is really important in conservation for obvious reasons.
The Conservationists' (probably not the right name) kit! Cute!
Big beaker, regular beaker, baby beaker! You can tell I paid attention in science GCSE.
Powder paints, used to camouflage repairs done to specimens.
Hundreds of teeny jars!
I wish I could buy these to use as my packaging... maybe I can?!
Fossilized fern.
I wasn't really supposed to take too many pictures in the lab, especially of what I was working on so sorry if this seems like a really odd selection but it was so fun and makes me wish I had mixed a bit of archaeology and conservation in with my literature modules... oh well maybe they will let me work there anyway!

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment