Tuesday 9 August 2011

Please stop looting and Theresa May please stop talking

This is not a proper post, I just want to post a link to an article which sums up how I feel.

The context to London's riots

Camden


Let's not be mistaken, the things that people are doing are absolutely awful actually inexcusable.
I think this man, interviewed by BBC, summed it up well:


"I have never seen such a disregard for human life. I hope they rot in hell"
Alan McCabe

He was not just exploding with rage, horror and frustration, he also helped a woman from his pub, through the rioters to the safety of the police. Only to then find himself trapped in a side street and separated from his staff and unable to go home to his terrified girlfriend and child. I am gripped by anxiety thinking about his family and all the others who have lost their homes and businesses and are struggling to get back to their families.

However, having spent the past six hours flicking between BBC and Sky news channels, I feel that a lot of the people being interviewed, particularly the MPs, are seeing the situation as far more clear-cut than it is. Meanwhile all of the community workers being interviewed are being given a tougher time by the journalists who seem to be trying to trip them up as they try to get the message across that this is not a completely random explosion of violence. This is the indirect result of all of the cuts and the frustration of the young people who don't see a future for themselves. Theresa May's speech just had me fuming. Lots of big thank yous to the police and lots of condemnation to the 'criminality' (I don't know how many more times I can bare to hear that word without punching a wall). Absolutely no consideration to the level of social unrest that has to build for such a widespread state of anarchy to take hold. Not even a mention of how things can be improved for the future.

We are in a society where young people are saturated with consumerism but cannot afford the items that they are told they need. The youth centers are being closed down. It is the summer holidays. There are serious problems with unemployment in many of the areas most heavily affected by the riots. I can empathize to some extent with the desire to just go mental, smash and grab.

I just wish they would stop burning things, putting so many people's lives at risk.

Woman in Croyden from the Mirror



I am not a journalist or an aspiring journalist, I do not pay any more attention to politics than the average 21 year old, so it is quite possible that what I am saying is rubbish. But I am tired, I am meant to go to work in Oxford Circus tomorrow and there are rioters less than a mile from my house. So this is just how I feel right now.


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment